In only a couple of days, February 12th,2009, Charles Darwin would have been 200! Though it seems a bit ironic making a big event out of his birthday( don’t the Christians do something like this every year? ), I suppose it is a huge leap forward for humanity that Charles Darwin was born. Even 150 years after the publishing of the Origin of Species, evolution is a hot topic. It is widely debated, tested, cursed, praised, and even been called the biggest discovery of human history.
There are many events all over the world to celebrate the father of evolution by natural selection. So as to keep your web surfing to a minimum I have compiled a short but good list of various celebrations and events happening to make this year’s Darwin Day memorable!
- To start, here is darwin200.org. A great site for you UK readers of all the events around Charles Darwin’s birthday.
- Over at Darwinday.org, they have come up with a Google Map so you can find events in your area!
- The Linnean Society of London where Darwin and Wallace’s papers were read 151 years ago, has some events planned too! Damn, why don’t I live in the UK????
- Darwin-online.org.uk has a huge listing of events around the world! Including Canada…finally.
- Nature.comhas the following to say about Darwin…”Darwin was arguably the most influential scientist of modern times. No single researcher has since matched his collective impact on the natural and social sciences; on politics, religions, and philosophy; on art and cultural relations, and in ways that the man himself would never have imagined.” Well said!
Now go out and wish everyone you know a Happy Darwin Day!!!