Here are my top 5 reasons:
- Cost. This is a no brainer. Linux is free. Windows in not. OSX is not…So, if you are a cheap bastard, Linux is right up your alley!
- Security. Essentially all the virus panic attacks you hear about online aren’t in existence in Linux. Partially because of it’s unix based underpinnings, and partially because of it’s obscurity…
- Choice. You have your pick of hundreds of different Linux distributions(distros). The big ones are Ubuntu, Fedora Core, Mint, Debian, Gentoo. There is an almost unlimited choice of operating systems to choose from based on Linux.
- Speed. Linux runs fast on even the oldest of systems. Yes, there are some full featured distros that need up to date hardware to run snappy, but there are multiple different desktops you can choose from to make your old hardware seem new again.
- Freedom. Linux is based upon the notion that everyone should have access to the full operating system to tweak and optimize to their heart’s content. Locked down systems like Windows and OSX are controlled by large corporations. Linux is not. Have you ever had issues with old photo or document formats that don’t work anymore? Word? iPhoto? AAC? I have. It sucks. I want to make the decisions about my data and my operating system. I can with Linux.
Here is a well written article by Russell Hollander and his reasons for switching to Linux.
- iTunes Alternatives for Linux (brighthub.com)
- How You Know When It’s Time to Switch to Linux (pcworld.com)
- How To Create & Use A USB Ubuntu Linux Boot Jump Drive (e1evation.com)
- Ubuntu Wayland: Shuttleworth’s post-Mac makeover (go.theregister.com)