I was lucky enough to get an invite to Google+ a couple of weeks ago!
After getting over the disappointment that my Google Apps account was not yet eligible for a profile, I used an old Gmail account to get started.
I did a mini-review of what Google+ is and the things I like about it to encourage my friends and family to join. I didn’t have too much luck…
Facebook is a the big kid on the block and right now there are aspects of Google+ that are simply lacking.
Here is my Top 5 list of suggestions that I think need to be implemented for people to dump Facebook and switch, or to just make me happy…
- There has got to be a business presence on there for people to find and share content! As it is right now, all the websites that made non-personal Google+ accounts have been asked to shut them down until further notice. One of the things I like about Facebook is that all the pages that I have ‘liked’ show up in my News feed. I want the same functionality in my Google+ account. Right now, with such a slow adoption by my friends and family, there is very little going on for me on there.
- They have to fix Sparks! I was hoping that Sparks was going to be a move by Google to implement their Google Reader into Google+. If you click Sparks, it suggests a bunch(well, only 8 things actually) of topics you may be interested in. I added some keywords to get some content but right now Sparks is useless. I’ll head to Twitter and search or use my Google Reader to keep up to date.
- Why did Google not release G+ to Google Apps users? This always makes me boil! The one group that actually pays for email etc…is the last to get the popular apps. Buzz never came to Google Apps! Months and months later. I suspect the same will apply to Google+. I’m not going to like to have to switch over a year from now to my Google Apps profile.
- I think I will have a hard time managing two social networks. I love that whatever I post on Twitter, I can have auto-forward to Facebook. I want the same to occur if I post in Google+. At the moment, forwarding posts via the facebook email address, it allows for a 50 character limit! You think you have a hard time getting a point across in Twitter? haha. I want my G+ posts to populate to Facebook, and the same goes for the other way around. Eventually people will see that Google+ is a far superior social network and switch. Won’t they?
- I like Facebook’s pages. I have my blog on there, and drive a bit of traffic from it, as well as get a free web presence on there. Google+ has nothing for me. I have to post my blog through my personal profile. I do seem to get a little bit of referrals from it, but nowhere near Facebook. I want the ability to promote my blog on Google+ and share my wisdom with all the Plusers!
There you have it! The 5 things I want changed in Google+.
Are you on Google+? If so, follow me on there. Search for Jamie Pakos.
What features do you wish to see Google add to their new social network?